Monday, September 27, 2010

Brothers


When brothers agree, no fortress is so strong as their common life
Brothers..the joy, the laughter, the pain.
---Growing up with no brothers, I guess I didn't understand brothers until I started dating Josh. His relationship with his brothers was a strong one. Yes, they would fight and argue about crazy things..pick on each other, and point out every quirky thing the other ones would do...but they were also fiercely devoted to each other. They would stand up for each other and shared everything...talk about cars, music, family, girls...you get the drift.
---I wondered, as I held Carter for the first time..what would he do? What will be become? When Kain arrived, I wondered the same things. I still wonder. I look at these two amazing boys with the world at their feet and know the possibilities are endless...but what I love the most is the relationship they have..the good and the bad.
---Tonight the boys were throwing the football to each other for a long time. I walked out in the front yard and smiled. Brothers are built in friends. It's someone to talk about school, sports, share you-tube videos with, play video games with, someone to play ENDLESS games of chess with. (this list could go on forever)
---On the other hand, someone who knows EXACTLY what to say to get under your skin, who knows the words that hurt the most, who bugs you, throws things at you, screams at you..you get the idea.
---I wonder if they know how lucky they are, and I already know the answer. Not yet. Someday they will. I pray that my kids will always be close, that no matter the miles or the circumstances they will be able to be there for each other. I have told the kids a thousand times. "friends come and go, but family is what makes it all worth it"

No comments: