Friday, September 10, 2010

Summer Mentality

Mia, my sweet sweet kind girl..starting 2nd grade with Mrs. Emery. It feels like 5 minutes ago she was just a baby. Now she is into Barbies, Build-A-Bears,playing with her good friend Madison, Girl Scouts and hopefully a dance class.

I am not a mom who counts down until the kids go to school. I am the mom who wants to keep them home forever. We did have a wonderful summer together and I was not ready for it to end. I call it the "summer mentality" and I would like to have it all year long.

Kain..a 4th grader. He has Mrs. Masterson..I had Masterson, Paige had Masterson, Carter had Masterson and we were thrilled Kain gets to as well. Kain my little whiz kid who makes everything seem easy. Kain loves to make us laugh, sports, board games, video games, and friends. He is excited to play another year of flag football and basketball.

What is the "summer mentality" you ask? Well, it is life without schedule. There are not hours spent daily in the car. It is sleeping in until you want to get up. It is chillin in PJ's until you feel like changing.

Carter, 8th grader..king of the hill at the middle school. I can't believe it. He has grown inches this summer and is taller than me. He loves sports as much as he always has. He is a leader, a kind person, has integrity, and humor. I am proud of him every day.

"Summer Mentality" is having mattresses in the front room from the end of May until the weekend before school starts. These are to sleep on, jump on, pile up and play on.

Paige, my Sophomore at PHS. She is kind, funny, incredibly talented in all things art. I am grateful for her help, her friendship, and just who she is..

"Summer Mentality" is family time. Playing chess, ping pong, pool, and basketball. It is simple. Easy. Free.

These four kids...are my most valuable gifts. I know they are more than just another name, another student, another number, another test score..They are more. This is the hardest part of sending them out the door. I am thankful for when they walk back into the house and tell me everything that happened and as Carter said today..well 3 weeks down...and counting. We all love the "summer mentality"

2 comments:

The Zieglers said...

I love your attitude about summer! You are such a good momma! Your kids are a reflection of that!

Natalee said...

You are such a good Mommy!! I really need to adopt the Summer Mentality! I'm too strict on my kids...and I need to be better! :) You'll have to teach me!